Thanks everyone for coming to our spring tournament. This was held on Sunday, April 26th, at Pine View. Results are posted here. We hope you stay active online, schools, or in our community library chess clubs and look forward to seeing you again next fall. Our next tournament will probably be the first weekend in November.
Don't be discouraged if you've never been in a tournament before. It's still a fun full afternoon of chess, and the sorting that takes place from one round to the next pairs you up with more and more appropriately matched opponents. After each win you go on to face more challenging competition. After each loss, your competition gets easier, so it's well worth continuing to play, whether you win or lose.
- K-3 U500 -- open to students up thru 3rd grade, below 500 rating*
- K-5 U700 -- open to students thru 5th grade, below 700 rating*
- K-12 U1200 -- open to scholastic level players thru 12th grade, below 1200 rating* (the majority in this section have been 6th-8th and below 800)
- Adult/Open -- open to adult players and for student players who are above our scholastic rating cutoff or would like a higher level challenge.
* Ratings based on prior SSC tournament results, or a more recent UCSF rating if it is based on at least 15 games. Ratings and grade level cutoffs are subject to change in order to better balance numbers in each section. Please see our Tournament FAQ section for additional explanations about ratings and other tournament features.
- Five rounds, Swiss System (no elimination-- all players play all five rounds).
- 30 min for each of the first two rounds, then 40 minutes per round Sections K-3 and K-5. Games not completed by the end of the time alotted will be assessed and decided by a tournament judge.
- Clocks will be used in the Open/Invitational section. In K-12, if either player desires a clock, one will be used. Time control of G15;d0 in the first two rounds, then G/20;d0 (15 or 20min. per player, no time delay).
Discounted early registration is now open. $15 (40% off) until 1 week before tournament day, then $20 thru the following Thursday. $25 onsite registration. USCF membership not required since this is not an official USCF event.
- Individual trophies awarded to each of the top 6 places in each section.
- Team plaques for top 3 school teams. More info in the Tournament FAQ section.
- Medals for all scholastic participants.
- Sarasota Scholastic Chess car magnets for all participants.
In official US Chess Federation tournaments you are normally required to bring your own tournament chess set. Since we know many kids don't own their own regulation sets, we will provide the sets to use in all but the Open sections. Open section players will need to bring their own sets and clocks.
Schedule: (subject to change)
Please note that in order to start promptly at 1pm, we require you to register by 12:30pm. If you can't make it in time for the first round, you can arrange in advance a first round bye (receiving 1/2 pt as if there were a draw). Late registrants may have to forfeit their first round match.
|1:00-1:30pm||1st round (30 min)|
|1:40-2:10pm||2nd round (30 min)|
|2:20-3:00pm||3rd round (40 min)|
|3:10-3:50pm||4th round (40 min)|
|4:00-4:40pm||5th round (40 min)|
Pine View School (in the Student Union/Cafeteria), 1 Python Path, Osprey, FL